Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Salutation to the Dawn

There is something compelling about these early hours. There is a special aliveness and awareness in the quiet of the dawning hour. I am touched with a feeling of fellowship with all of creation. The Salutation of the Dawn
Listen to the exhortation of the dawn!
Look to this day! For it is life,
The very life of life.
In its brief course lie all the
verities
And realities of your existence.
The bliss of growth,
The glory of action,
The splendor of beauty,
For yesterday is but a dream,
And tomorrow is but a vision;
But today well lived
Makes every yesterday a dream of happiness,
And every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Look well, therefore, to this day!
Such is the salutation of the dawn.
---- from the Sanskrit As the sun begins to climb, the sky is infused with gold and salmon light.
I am so enthralled with the rapidly changing patterns of light I nearly forget to click the shutter of my camera. In these quiet moments I realize that I am in many ways set free by my illness. I have received a gift of timeā€¦. Time to explore the woods and meadow that are visible from my window. The camera draws me into a new dimension. In part it ties me to its lens and in a way it sets me free by opening my mind to see things in a different way. I am beginning to be aware of the same mix of freedom and control in every part of my life. Perhaps it is most important to recognize and be aware of this, to be aware of reality, to open my eyes to beauty and continue to look forward to possibilities.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI, regarding line 4 of the "Salutation":
The last word should be "verities," (i.e., truths), not "varieties."

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home