Saturday, June 17, 2006

June Day

There is a lot of truth in the words of the poets who write on and on about “June Days.”

Our world is fresh and green, filled with blossoms and the intoxicating scent of roses and lilies. Soft breezes stir the grasses and leaves and I am inclined to sit and contemplate the scene --- My camera rests forgotten at my side while I simply revel in the beauty surrounding me.
Chipmunks seem delighted with the day, taking time from stuffing their cheek pouches to run in circles through the grasses. Gray squirrels, Red Squirrels, Mourning Doves, Robins, Chipping Sparrows, Crows and Cardinals all search through the grasses for seeds.
Overhead there is a nearly constant sound of the wing beats of hummingbirds as they circle between the feeders and tall spikes of columbine or foxgloves. I hear small sounds from fluff-ball chickadees growing in a nest their parents built in one of the houses we hung this spring.
In the meadow, the hen turkey has brought her chicks – I am having difficulty counting them since their heads barely show above the grass – I think there are about 12 or 14 chicks. They scurry here and there, waddling after a beetle, checking the flavor of a wild strawberry, tipping head over heels over a hidden bramble.

Ah – June --- I find contentment in this June Day

19 Comments:

Blogger goldenlucyd said...

If the only post today were the wild turkey photo and last paragraph and concluding sentence, it would still have been perfect!
Beautiful, Endment.

7:12 PM  
Blogger MojoMan said...

Ah...to be in the country and at peace. If only we could all enjoy moments like this.

8:07 PM  
Blogger harmonyinline said...

Your post spills over with enchantment.

9:04 PM  
Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

The poets are right to pause and listen to a June day.

I spotted just one chick in your turkey photo - very sweet!

11:56 PM  
Blogger MB said...

Beautiful moments to share — thank you.

12:20 AM  
Blogger snowsparkle said...

this was a gorgeous june day... sunlit sparkling waters of the bay danced and dazzled my heart. i love how you forget your camera from the beauty of it all. thank you for the reminder to enjoy this natural beauty.

2:54 AM  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Sounds heavenly!! Fantastic photos that capture what sounds like a truly idyllic day.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Endment said...

goldenlucyd
Thank you for your very kind words

mojoman, mb,jimmy and chiefbiscuit
it is pretty wonderful

harmonyinline
wish you could share with us today

laurahinnj
glad you found one chick - they were a bit short to show above the tall grasses (grass is shorted today so perhaps I will get another chance)

snowsparkle
I am continually sitting in awe - forgetting that my camera is right next to my hand... I love what nature brings to my doorstep!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Jennifer S. said...

I love columbine and June days...

11:27 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

You captured the day and brought it to us here. Beautiful and serene. I could almost hear the chirping, and whirring of wings.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

This does look and sound like a wonderful June day. Great photos as usual. :)

1:56 PM  
Blogger Kim Tyler said...

You captured your bucolic bliss so sweetly, in both photos and words!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Kara said...

from parched NM it is soothing to see and read about your green beauty.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Cyn Bagley said...

Wow... I want to fall asleep in your grass. It would be fun waking up to the sounds and scitterings of birds. :-)

3:05 PM  
Blogger kerrdelune said...

Chipmunks, yellow columbines and a truly gorgeous and thoughtful essay on the perfection of these June days. Wonderfully photographed and scribed, Endment, and I felt (again) as though I was right there with you walking along and seeing through your rapt eyes. Many many kudos for this! Lovely. . . .

5:31 PM  
Blogger Endment said...

jennifer
Oh - me too!

robin andrea
I wish I had a way to capture the sounds and share them on my blog... The early morning bird songs will match anything i have heard on tapes.

tim rice, sigrid jardin,and kara
well - we have to enjoy them when we have a chance today is HOT! :)

cynthia e. bagley
so - I have to confess.. the grass is filled with "No-see-ums" they bite and make me very ill... I have to spray with repellant and stay away from the grass. (Hopefully they will go away as the warm weather arrives.

kerrdelune
isn't it easy to burst out in rapture on days like this?

6:52 PM  
Blogger Star said...

What lovely photos and wonderful descriptions to bring them to life for us. I always look forward to your posts.

And about the chipmunk. Very cute in your pictures...but we have relocated two more this weekend to a place by the river which we think they'll find much nicer than our garden area!

Thank you for sharing your beautiful June day.

8:57 PM  
Blogger chuck said...

Solstice time:
Thanks for your "June Day" post...simply savoring the moment and the sentiment...

1:36 AM  
Blogger Endment said...

star
are you interested in re-locating some more chipmunks? :)

chuck
Thanks for your visit and your comment - welcome to my blog

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home