Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Midnight Shadows

Ring around the moon
midnight shadows beaten back
deer in my garden.

Just before eleven, I discovered a small raccoon under the large pole feeders in my back yard. He was licking up sunflower seeds and bits of suet that had fallen from the feeders onto the snow. With such vigorous licking I doubt anything with any food value is left – other than soil.

The moon is nearly full. At moonrise clouds veiled its face; as the clouds open there is a rainbow and a green/gold ring around the moon. At times I see brilliant stars then minutes later the sky is filled with fast moving clouds.

The raccoon has moved to the feeders in the front yard – meandering from one place to another licking up every scrap of suet and seeds to be found. The gray squirrels will be disappointed in the morning!

The moonlight is music to my eyes; it is calling to me to come out and follow its path through the woods. One could easily go for a long walk in this wonderful light. How I wish I could answer its siren call!

Two does wander past the raccoon but he ignores them and they walk on up the hill. I guess they can tell he has already cleaned out the fast food stop.

The clouds cover the moon and I am reminded of a haiku by Matsuo Bashō:

“The clouds
are giving these moon-watchers
a little break.”


more haiku at One Deep Breath Sorry for being the wrong time of day but this is what came out when I began to write.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your moon photo is gorgeous Endment. The moon beckons me to follow it all night long. I wish I could go for a long walk in this moonshine!
All of the creatures seem like they're very hungry now.

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You paint a lovely picture; I am happy I found your blog again, I shall return. A lot has happened to me in the last month, but your writings have brought me around, thanks!

sage

1:00 AM  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

That's lovely - a little yearning among the appreciation. A beautiful picture painted of a special moment. What it must be like to see racoons!

2:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this moon photo, Endment. And I enjoyed reading this post. Felt like I was in your garden, watching that raccoon. Good to have you back.

3:17 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Your photo is just beautiful! And your writing brings back fond memories of evening walks in the moonlight.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Cate said...

Your writing is just so beautiful, I wrap it around myself and cozy up inside of it . . . and what a view! That's a lovely photo.

I can imagine your raccoon enjoying and appreciating every last morsel!

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful image of the moon. For me, there are few pleasures more intense than the moonlight on a snowy landscape. The lure to walk out in it is irresistable.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

This is lovely, your beautiful photo and haiku and the racoon too!

10:53 AM  
Blogger MB said...

What a wonderful post! Gorgeous photo and haiku, and a marvelous story. Thanks.

11:20 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

We have not seen the moon-- cloud covered and fog. So, your moonlight and your words make up for its absence.

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew your moon would be great! Last month, I was standing out in the garden in the dark, and a deer walked right up to me. I don't know which of us was the most startled.

5:56 PM  
Blogger silverlight said...

just to say, 'hi'.

2:09 AM  
Blogger kerrdelune said...

A magnificent moon and a haiku by Basho - perfect, just perfect!

4:08 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

You have captured the magic of moonlight here. I'd love to take that walk :)

3:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful poems, Endment. Very clear and beautiful images!

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haibun goodness.

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I could follow that siren call... Wonderful, evocative post. Magic!

9:40 PM  
Blogger Andromeda Jazmon said...

I love your haiku here. And of course, the Basho one is what inspires me...

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home