Friday, April 28, 2006

10 Most Beautiful Birds Meme

Tagged by Somewhere in NJ who says she got this meme from John at A DC Birding Blog: John says, "A few days ago I posted a link about some ornithologists that created a list of the most beautiful birds in North America. Nuthatch commented that this had the makings of a meme, and I think that is a great idea. So now that migration is underway and most birds are appearing in their finest spring breeding plumage, what do you consider the most beautiful birds?Rules: Post a list of the 10 birds you consider most beautiful on your blog; you may limit the list to the ABA area (continental United States and Canada) or use a geographic area of your choice. Mark birds you have seen with an asterisk. Tag 3 bloggers to keep it going."

This is an unbelievably difficult task...
I went through my bird guide and made a v-e-r-y- l-o-n-g list of birds that I think are really beautiful. I sorted and sorted again and finally came up with:
  • Indigo Bunting *
  • Vermillion Flycatcher *
  • Painted Bunting *
  • Carolina Wren *
  • California Quail *
  • American Avocet *
  • Snowy Egret *
  • Scissor-tailed Flycatcher *
  • American Kestral *
  • American Goldfinch *

Well - that makes ten but there are at least another twenty birds on my list of "most beautiful birds" I was surprised to discover that none of the warblers made my list and the flycatchers came in with the most entries.

I am tagging:
Rexroth's Daughter
Cindy at Wood Song
Harmony in Line
and any others who wish to share their list of most beautiful birds.

[The birds in the graphic are not the ones on my list - I still hope to get a chance to capture photos of all of them before the end of the year... I have to say a special thanks to harmony for her help with Adobe - she keeps passing on the the things she is learning and I keep exploring to see what will happen.]

14 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

I will respond to this meme on Monday. Thanks so much for tagging me. I tend to shy away from memes, but this one tugs at my heart. It's about beautiful birds. What could be sweeter?

Your list is magnificently colorful.

11:09 PM  
Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

Great list and I love the graphic - so cool! The bird pics are yours?

12:10 AM  
Blogger Pam in Tucson said...

I love your list. A couple I didn't know, so I've had fun looking them up. I had such a difficult time with this meme, distinguishing between "beautiful" and "sweetest." The graphic is great! I'll have to learn how to do this. I hope your dream comes true to capture all of them this year - I anticipate beautiful images.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Beautiful pictures and an intriguing list that has sent me searching. I never thought of myself as a bird person, until this year (so novice is a huge understatement). I didn't realize the neighborhood was so vacuous (save the sounds of the unbiquitous automobile)until spring began to arrive and my open windows let in dozens of distinct warblings. My heart lept when I heard the mourning dove that has lived in our yard for at least six summers, and I thought, "Oh there you are, old friend." I'll be looking forward to your sightings.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I would be interested in doing this ... but no-one would know what I was talking about !! Tui, kiwi, kereru, piwakawaka, kaka, kakapo, karaka, black robin, titi, bush robin .... :)

4:00 PM  
Blogger Pris said...

How I wish my oldest cousin was still alive. He was an avid birdwatcher. I know next to nothing about their names and haven't seen a lot of variety, being housebound and in Florida now, but I'm learning, through your site!

(I just realized I didn't have a link to you on mine, so am adding today. Hope you don't mind)

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a new appreciation for your bird photos as I have been trying to capture one on film for a week now. They are quick, little creatures. They are all so lovely though.
a.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Living on another continent I am not familiar with these birds,except for the egret which I saw on holiday in Egypt. However, the poetry of their names is captivating:

Vermillion Flycatcher .. Painted Bunting.

If you are able to get photos,that would be wonderful, Endment.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Cyn Bagley said...

I enjoy all your posts. :-)

1:45 PM  
Blogger Jennifer S. said...

Another attempt at a comment... Hopefully you don't wind up with 3 duplicates! I love looking at and listening to birds but I don't think I can add serious birdwatching to my list of pursuits. Ok maybe I'll peek in a guide from time to time ;)

9:26 AM  
Blogger Endment said...

rexroth's daughter
glad you are playing - will look for your post

laurahinnj
the photos are mine (with a bit of help from Adobe)

Fran
You might be surprised by how much you know - you like books :) take a look at "How to be a Bad Birdwatcher" by Simon Barnes

pam in tucson
most of the birds on my list were seen in or very near our own yard (of course that was at different times and in different states :)


rebekah
birding sneeks up on one...
I found myself more of a birder now that I live in a remote area.

chiefbiscuit
I saw one or two photos of the birds you name on your site. I tried to look up the other birds but my guide is for the wrong area
Why don't you play anyway? Of course you might have to post pictures of your favorites... :)

art and soul -
Thank you

pris
I am housebound most of the time also but feeders and water bring a wonderful variety of birds to my windows.
I am delighted to be "linked"

andrea
aren't they a challenge??? I'll tell you a secret - I throw a lot of shots away before I get a good one. :) I wish you success soon!

mary
would love to see your list from another continent! You can send a message to the birds that if they will only pose for me I can post photos for you :)

cynthia e bagley
thanks so much cynthia

jennifer
doesn't using blogger make you feel competent - not... Wish they would get their act together!
Hope you have success and fun when you do watch.

10:22 AM  
Blogger tai haku said...

a fine list! avocets and US kestrels seem to be popular on this meme for very good reason. Now I need to go and look up a few of the others.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I'm enjoying reading everyone's lists! You included the bird that has a special place in my heart- the painted bunting.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Endment said...

tai haku
thanks for your visit... you did a great response to this meme

deb
the painted bunting used to come to our little drip pool when we lived in Texas - spectacular bird. For a great photo go the Stokes blog http://stokesbirdingblog.blogspot.com/

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home