Thursday, April 20, 2006

Poetry

POETRY

And it was at that age...Poetry arrived
in search of me. I don't know, I don't know where
it came from, from winter or a river.
I don't know how or when,
no, they were not voices, they were not
words, nor silence,
but from a street I was summoned,
from the branches of night,
abruptly from the others,
among violent fires
or returning alone,
there I was without a face
and it touched me.

I did not know what to say, my mouth
had no way
with names
my eyes were blind,
and something started in my soul,
fever or forgotten wings,
and I made my own way,
deciphering
that fire
and I wrote the first faint line,
faint, without substance, pure
nonsense,
pure wisdom
of someone who knows nothing,
and suddenly I saw
the heavens
unfastened
and open,
planets,
palpitating plantations,
shadow perforated,
riddled
with arrows, fire and flowers,
the winding night, the universe.

And I, infinitesimal being,
drunk with the great starry
void,
likeness, image of
mystery,
I felt myself a pure part
of the abyss,
I wheeled with the stars,
my heart broke loose on the wind.
Pablo Neruda

18 Comments:

Blogger Joy Eliz said...

My favorite thing at night is to listen to crickets and stare at the moon thru the trees.
This picture makes me think of that.
And... I really like your idea of being eccentric...I too am going to add this to my goals!
Thanks!!!

6:47 AM  
Blogger bee said...

"And it was at that age - poetry came to find me".
neruda always gives me chills.
thank you for posting this, endment, i actually haven't read any neruda in a while and i didn't realize how much i missed him.
i was 8. and you?

8:36 AM  
Blogger Pris said...

I think this is among my favorites of his poems. Thanks for posting it!

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful...

9:25 AM  
Blogger Jennifer S. said...

LOVE this one! Love Il Postino!

9:52 AM  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

A heart broken loose on the wind... what an image. Isn't he just magnificent? Thank you.

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is just magical.

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've posted on my blog about Neruda being the inspiration for my own writing. You can't read him and not want to write yourself.

10:33 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Such a beautiful poem, it takes my breath away. An awakening, described so exquisitely, it lets us be inside his skin. How familiar it feels.

10:58 AM  
Blogger MB said...

You know already that I love this!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Cyn Bagley said...

it was lovely... thank you

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for making me read this beautiful poem

4:10 PM  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

i love everything about his poems, even to the point where I wish I could read spanish!

6:03 PM  
Blogger snowsparkle said...

"my eyes were blind,
and something started in my soul,
fever or forgotten wings,
and I made my own way,
deciphering
that fire"
this phrase of the poem is an especially beautiful find! thank you!

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for reconnecting me with this poem.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Endment said...

joy eliz
I like to listen to the breezes and the owls.
glad to know there will be another eccentric in the world :)

bee
can't remember when poetry found me. Seems like rhymes came along with talking :)

pris
isn't is great?

andrea,jennifer,greenishlady and jacqueline
thanks I do love his work

lynn
how right you are

rexroth's daughter
there is an echo inside of me

mb
ah so! :)

cynthia e. bagley
glad you came by today - thanks

claude
it makes me remember that when we have no words - write and they will come.

la vie en rose
I'm glad

tongue in cheek antiques
wouldn't that be fun?

snow sparkle
I think I have a favorite phrase and then I read a few more words and find another.

homebird
you're welcome

8:15 AM  
Blogger kerrdelune said...

Bright moon, a tree and Neruda, could one possibly ask for more? This is perfection. . . .

10:11 AM  
Blogger Taradharma said...

this poem takes my breath away.

His "Machu Pinchu" has always been a favorite of mine.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home