Friday, April 07, 2006

Drizzle

As first color begins to chase away shadows and illuminate the hills signs of life can be seen emerging from the darkness wherever I turn.

“Spring would not be spring without bird songs.” - Francis M. Chapman

Bird songs swell from every tree and shrub.

The temperature and weather as well as the season have some influence on the morning’s first songsters. Although the past few days have caused us to think about packing away our winter clothing and the night has been comparatively warm - a low of forty degrees - it is overcast and cloudy this morning. Rain is expected by mid-morning and there is a bite to the damp air.

“The sun was warm but the wind was chill.
You know how it is with an April day.
When the sun is out and the wind is still,
You're one month on in the middle of May.
But if you so much as dare to speak,
a cloud come over the sunlit arch,
And wind comes off a frozen peak,
And you're two months back in the middle of March.”

- Robert Frost

This is a transitional time when winter is hanging on yet spring is rushing forward. Today the early calls come from high overhead as Canada Geese head for the dam to spend their day. String after string of the geese pass by, their silhouettes scarcely standing out against the layers of clouds they are passing through. Nearby a Pileated Woodpecker begins beating tattoo against the huge stump of a broken White Pine and the Crows sound their morning wake-up calls. I stand at the window gazing at the same trees that meet my view nearly every day. These same trees yet they are not quite the same. Light, clouds, shadows, snow, rain each adds a new dimension to the view.


“The first day of spring is one thing, and the first spring day is another. The difference between them is sometimes as great as a month.” --- Henry Van Dyke

I experience triste in full measure. The calendar may say that it is spring but I have the winter doldrums. I want to walk in the sunshine under a canopy of green, to sit under a comfortable old tree and watch the river rush past. Instead I am sitting in gloom that no electric light can erase. Drizzle … yes, drizzle.

How I am longing to turn off the heat, to pick fresh lettuce and new peas. Oh yes, I am longing for spring.

“Science has never drummed up quite as effective
a tranquilizing agent as a sunny spring day.”-
W. Earl Hall

8 Comments:

Blogger harmonyinline said...

I love your photos soooo very dramatic.

9:08 PM  
Blogger T. Beth said...

I love it when the sky is a vibrant metallic silver (as in your photos), instead of a dull, flat gray. I've noticed that such silver skies usually appear when the weather is unstable and quickly changing.

2:40 AM  
Blogger Sky said...

I, too, can hardly wait for spring! It is still nippy here, and rains are expected within the hour for the whole weekend. The rain can't stop the celebration the daffodils, tulips, hyacinths, scilla, and candytuft are enjoying in our gardens while the azaleas and rhododendron prepare to join in the splash of color. Heaven.
:)

1:02 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

You definitely convey the moodiness of the sky and the seasons in transition. Here, too, there is instability. The warmth of last week has moved on and behind it there's cold wet weather. We put away our short-sleeved tee-shirts again and grab the wool sweaters for our walk.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Endment said on a previous post:
"thanks for your comment - can't find your blog."

I don't usually hyperlink my signature because I journal rather than blog. (I think bloggers expect to end up at a blog when they click the link.) :) I've made it live on this one.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Pam in Tucson said...

I live vicariously through your poetic writing as you move through the season change and bring back memories of my time in the Connecticut woods. I love the Frost poem and you enhance it beautifully with your own magic. A dramatic photograph to set the mood ... lovely!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Endment said...

harmonyinline
thanks - today I found them almost dismal but when I look at the photos there is a special beauty.

t. beth
How right you are this sky certainally appears with unstable changing weather

sky
spring is just sending out hints and promises no real out and out presence yet

rexroth's daughter
I not only hung up my short-sleeved shirts but put my down jacket back on

gin
thanks - I will visit you again soon!

pam in tucson
thank you - doesn't Frost convey the spirit of New England and the eastern US?

8:41 PM  
Blogger kellie said...

Gorgeous photos, Carolyn! I hope spring will come soon!

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home