Sunday, April 02, 2006

Changing Gears

Have finished the last of the Artist's Way exercises and am ready to change gears. I close my notebook on this aspect of my world with a sigh of relief and a little bit of regret. There is a real sense of urgency to move forward on other things – including other approaches to creativity. This means a bit of exploration with watercolor, writing, photography and learning more about photo editing.

"All there is to writing is having ideas. To learn to write is to learn to have ideas." Robert Frost

Thanks to a lead from Lisa In Otter Space I purchased “Spinning Words into Gold” and am planning to work through the exercises in this book as my next project. I actually think I may find these exercises more helpful than “Artist's Way”.

The first exercise - in abbreviated form suggests, “…If you are the choices you make, who are you? Try writing for ten minutes, beginning with the phrase ‘I am…’ Keep coming back to this phrase whenever you get stuck….”

I am a writer
I write for myself
Yet I long to write words
that reach out
and touch
the hearts
and minds
of others.

I am a writer
I have stories to tell
and words waiting
to pour
out of my pen.

I am an observer
who writes of sun and sky
of wind, rain and snow
of fog and moonlight
the squirrel chasing his tail
the feel of the feathers
on the goldfinch’s head.

I am a dreamer.
I dream of words
that fall into matching rows
covering the page
with life and hope
with pain and tears
with joy and laughter.

I am a searcher
who looks for ways
to see my dreams
fulfilled.

Maureen Ryan Griffin has a web site that is stimulating: the page I found really interesting is called “Word Play” I think you will enjoy checking out her “exercises.”

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to reading some of those stories waiting to pour from your pen. I hope you will share them.

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, keep those words flowing--AW be damned. I'll look into the book you mention.

1:02 AM  
Blogger Otter said...

Endment, your words are beautiful!
Yea for you. I love that you are doing Maureen's book.

I'm a skip-around-type of book person but since you are doing Spinning Words and I just happen to have a copy of that book....Would you like to Spin Words together?

I'll work on some thing to post later today (or this evening) . I start my painting class this morning!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Endment said...

nan
I suspect I will share at least a few. thanks for the invitation.

fran aka redondowriter
why don't you join us in exploring Spinning Words into Gold?

in otter space
great ides. I don't really have a structure, I was just planning to work through with the hope I would be inspired to expand my writing skills. Tell me more about what you have in mind.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Cyn Bagley said...

I really enjoyed this poem. I also went throught Cameron's "The Artist's Way" a few years ago. It really helped with my poetry. Now I am just writing... or trying to write. Good luck in your new venture. I think it is all good.
:-)

10:48 AM  
Blogger HoBess said...

Beautiful ... and I hope you know your words already reach out and touch us all. Enjoy the new part of your journey!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Pam in Tucson said...

What a wonderful expression ... For me it evokes your intense curiosity, your love of learning, your creativity, your beauty, your deep sensitivity to your environment - these things that I have learned about you during the course of reading and viewing your work. Enjoy your new journey. I feel honoured that you'll be sharing it with us.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Kara said...

Oh, I'm excited you will be working through this book - I'm very curious about it, but for now it's a seed yet waiting to be planted. Your words already touch me and I just look forward to what you'll share in the future. Good luck on the new beginning!

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is wonderful and I think you must add that you are a poet as well. I, like others look forward to reading your stories.
Brilliant post!
a.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

Endment, I am a relatively newcomer to your blog. But I find myself deeply attracted to your writing. I shall look forward to more.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Hi Endment - My blogroll doesn't shout NEW! when you put a new post out for some reason (it does for other posts on other blogs ...) So I missed this post until now when I thought I'd just check to see if you'd written anything new and it'd slipped by me - which is exactly what'd happened.
I look forward to reading more of your writing. You have a great combination there of photos and good writing.

7:31 PM  
Blogger kellie said...

Yet I long to write words
that reach out
and touch
the hearts
and minds
of others.

You have been doing this for at least as long as your blog as been alive, and I suspect longer! This is exciting. I am eager to see the words you spin and count finding you one of the real treasures of the AW journey. Blessings to you.

P.S. I know a bit about photo editing and am learning more and more--we'll have to trade some tips!

7:36 PM  
Blogger Taradharma said...

I envy your contemplative life...to read, to paint, to dream. Your words are beautiful...ah, this appeals mightily to the writer and dreamer in me. Thanks for the recommendations....

12:31 PM  
Blogger GoGo said...

Good luck on this journey. I looked forward to reading more and more!

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as always, your gift of words lifts my spirit.. thank you. And journey well.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home