Thursday, February 08, 2007

Winter Rambling

Hints of gold and persimmon touch rapidly moving clouds as the sun rises very slowly from behind the snow covered hillside. Soon bright sunlight melts ice patterns from my windows. Clear blue sky – only a cloud here and there. Canada Geese pass in formation overhead. A Bald Eagle Soars on some thermal, drifting slowly above the house. I stand at the skylight watching him until he drifts out of sight over the hills.
When I think of blue sky and clear sunny days the first images and words that come to mind are all of warmth and relaxation but today is frigid and brisk – sharp penetrating winds push and bite when I venture to even stick my head out the door.

All through the woods and clearing different objects capture the sun’s light --- ice on trees, snow hoods on bird feeders, something on the ground… the wind sets them into motion and light beams dance through the loft. Even the metal trim on my pencil sends circles of light moving across the page and up to the ceiling. Bouncing, swaying moving with every letter I write.

Looking up from my writing I discover the Carolina Wren is back today. I watched as he hopped from tree to tree in the side yard, finally alighting on the witch hazel. Moving cautiously to the birdhouse hanging in its barren branches, he poked his head inside, pulled out some bits and pieces --- a little grass, some fluff that could have been some feathers. Eventually he popped through the opening. Then he reappeared and dropped more debris from the open entry. I wonder if this is just a house inspection or if he is planning to move in.
I have been reading all the news about global warming and the comments on the blogs about ways to make a minute contribution…We have the thermostat set low – this is to keep the loft, where I spend most of my time, at a comfortable temperature. So much of the heat rises that it is difficult to find a good balance. Either I have to put on summer clothing when I go up to the loft or the living room and bedroom are so cold I have to grab a coat to stay in them for more than a passing moment… Have to find a solution…
I found a way to put a lot of plastic grocery bags to good use. (They have been filling up a shelf, which I would rather use for storage) Today I took a good portion of them to stuff into tiny cracks along the doors. After folding the bags into quarters lengthwise – I used a table knife to stuff the bags into any crack around the door. Some of the doors are tight. I could only slip the knife into part of the cracks - but any crack at all is letting cold air in today. The back door has a bit larger space and it took fourteen bags to fill all of its cracks.

It is a bit warmer downstairs now but I still put a heating pad into my bed – turned it on about half an hour before I was ready for bed - Toasty!

Chill wind – moon is partly hidden by the clouds as it makes its journey through the sky. All this day I spend much of my time very aware of the weather. I check the thermometers, watch the sun and clouds the ice and snow, and listen to the wind banging the feeders against the house as I turn to sleep.

24 Comments:

Blogger kerrdelune said...

Warm morning colors and ice on the window, then clear blue sky and sunlight to light the world up. This is a lovely meditation for late winter day, and the geese, how I miss my Great Canadas, and thank you for sharing yours!

4:37 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

What lovely musing on a cold winters day, your writing paints images.
Your drawings are beautiful and delicate.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

Endment, this is some wonderful writing and interesting observations. You remind me of Annie Dillard (especially Pilgrim at Tinker Creek), the way you notice the things around you and record even the smallest of actions.

I love the way you've described this winter day.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you definitely have a way with words; you soothe my anxious mind, now that I am alone. This getting used to one, instead of two, is wretched; it's so difficult after 40 years.

I love your illustrations. Do you live on a farm? it sounds so wonderful...nature, oh sweet nature, where God is everywhere.
thanks for sharing.
blessings and good nights sleep; hope you stay warm.
sage

7:55 PM  
Blogger silverlight said...

Good use of plastic bags.
That little house we lived in before had to be completely weather stripped too. Makes a heck of a difference.
Global warming= colder winters, hotter summers.

10:11 PM  
Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

My husband bought us a bed warmer last year - I love it! So nice to get in to a toasty soft spot.

I'm really enjoying your drawings - the expression on the Carolina Wren is just perfect! Just once I would like to see one of them smile.

;-)

10:50 PM  
Blogger Endment said...

kerrdelune
Mornings are so wonderful - of course then there are moonlight evenings and... The Canada Geese are always welcome visitors here also

pam
your encouraging words are treasured

jessie
you are kind - I love Annie Dillard's Pilgrim at Tinker Creek but I have no background to make educated observations - only my eyes

sage
life changes can take more than a little "getting used to"
I live on a wooded hill above a river

silverlight
our house is well insulated (of course as technology changes there are always ways to upgrade) When I stood at the door and felt the cold air on my feet - it was time for a change :)

laurahinnj
a bedwarmer sounds wonderful... No - then I would have to find a place to put it when I wasn't using it... I must get rid of things and not add to my accumulation --- books excepted of course :)
I will have to watch and see if I can catch one of these Carolina Wrens smiling :)

7:03 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Visiting your blog today was a treat since I admire those who can write so well and take me to another place. Your drawings are the icing on the cake! Thanks!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Your words and nature renderings are a relaxing oasis. I always know that when I visit, I will leave feeling as if I've spent an hour at a spa.

Thank you for sharing your gifts with us.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Pam in Tucson said...

Exquisite drawings, flowing writing and stunning photography. I turn to "Endment" for much needed peace and beauty to break from the whirlwinds and pressures of daily life. Thank you for sharing these gifts with us.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Endment,
This post made me so happy. I really enjoy your nature writing. It is a treat to see the world through your eyes. Your art is so wonderful, showing your powers of observation. Finally, the plastic bags! I will try it in our drafty old house.

Thanks for your nice comments on my visual story about my sister. That meant a lot to me.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great writing about our frigid NY winter days of late. I find it hard to balance the heat in the house, too. I imagine you sitting in your loft writing. And I love your artwork!

10:33 PM  
Blogger Sky said...

wow! such delightful gifts in the art and words. :)

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the third time at least I've come to this particular post. I love those drawings and the way you write. It feels like a comfortable dream. I can't even explain it.

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your art work is just wonderful. And your day sounds very pleasant.
I am going to use your plastic bag idea downstairs. There are some places down there where I can actually feel a cool breeze when I walk past.
Oh, I wish I had a loft!

11:41 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Your drawings are so beautiful, and your contemplations of the day, the light, the times in which we live-- perfect.

12:00 PM  
Blogger turnip said...

Your blog is beautiful, I feel more peaceful after reading your posts.
I have been keeping an eye on the Carolina Wren here, they seem to like to hang out in the kudzu and bushes down by the river here.
Plastic bags are a good idea, I will have to try that in my old drafty apartment!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Beautiful writing! I love the eye you have for the small detail. Then the everyday descrptions of keeping warm. The plastic bags in the cracks of the doors - what a good idea and how well it fits in with the rest of this well-written record. More! More! writing from your cosy loft please.

1:17 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Hi Endment,

Your words are so lovely--I always like to hear about birds and their behavior, but this sketch is particularly moving. I like, too, your use of those nasty palstic bags that collect like dust bunnies. Great picture in my mind of the wren re-making his house and you, yours.

The commenters notes reminded me of a piece of a poem that captured me recently. I'm sure you know it:


And I am thinking: maybe just looking and listening
is the real work.

Maybe the world, without us, is the real poem.

Mary Oliver
From The Leaf and the Cloud

Thanks for inspiration!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

A lovely evocative post and beautiful drawings, I'd love to see a Bald Eagle someday. Very original way of recycling plastic bags too:)

5:45 PM  
Blogger Otter said...

Been thinking of your plastic bag idea these past few days. Very resourceful idea.
Hope you are enjoying the snow, sure wish we had some in Charlotte.

4:03 PM  
Blogger MB said...

What a wonderful winter post!

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your words warmed my heart as I read them...-14 here in Northern Michigan.

10:38 PM  
Blogger z-silverlight said...

hi, I have a new blog site. I used to be 'silverlight'. Now I'm not.
So, backtrack to my new place.

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home