Monday, January 16, 2006

Clouds

“I used to envy the father of our race, dwelling as he did in contact with the new-made fields and plants of Eden; but I do so no more, because I have discovered that I also live in 'creation's dawn.' The morning stars still sing together, and the world, not yet half made, becomes more beautiful every day” --- John Muir. Morning came softly out of the darkness; a pale softening of the edges of the night. Nature is laying out her palate of color. Deep shades of orange barely rimmed the hills, warming the deep indigo. Spreading wash after wash of color she displays the entire spectrum of shades of oranges and yellows. Just as I think I have seen all the possible shades, she changes the tints again.

Ice and snow reflect the light from the sun-glittering patterns, moving as branched shadows sway in the wind.

Nature is not done with her morning presentation; she drapes clouds over the hills setting out dramatic patterns of light.I need words --- not only do I not know what to call these phenomena but I don’t even know how to describe them to myself. I reach for the National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Weather. It seems as though nature has set out a complete textbook display of clouds.

I think I find cumulus, cumulonimbus, cirrus, perhaps a sun pillar - well there are more than I can identify. I think I am certain about the iridescence. What do you think?
I need to learn a lot more about what is happening in the clouds!
I guess the pictures may have to speak for themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home