Saturday, February 04, 2006

Artist Way Week Four

A very difficult week; my sketch illustrates many of the feelings I experienced this week. Since a major portion of my day involves reading at one level or another, filling the void, or the opening, of time was very difficult. Especially difficult was the sense of needing to work beyond what felt to me like a dysfunctional barrier in my world.

I doubt there could have been a more challenging time for me to try to experience reading deprivation. Although I enjoy solitude, this week I was totally alone, power was off on several occasions --- and - - - no --- reading!

I made a deliberate choice to read a few things: my handbook for my new camera, the instruction manual for my photo editing software and one book.on writing, “Tell It Slant: Writing and Shaping Creative Nonfiction” by Brenda Miller and Suzanne Paola. I did answer my e-mail and make some limited visits to a couple of special blogs. Since I usually read a number of books every week I still found that limiting my reading opened up plenty of time in my schedule for other activities.

My morning pages went well. I never did figure out what to do for an Artist’s Date although part of the time I did enjoy the solitude…

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool drawing... like the planets have gotten stuck by something blocking their way and can't be free to move as they should be...

11:55 PM  
Blogger T. Beth said...

What an interestingly bleak and surrealistic drawing! I like things that are not quite as expected, which is why I find drawings such as this one so appealing.

I hope that Blogger has been nicer to your blog than it's been to mine today! It ate one of your kind comments on my blog, but luckily, I did get to read it by email because I have email notification for comments enabled, so it was not totally lost. :-)

2:26 AM  
Blogger Ontario Wanderer said...

I do like your drawing. The figure that is both transparent and not is very interesting.

I enjoy drawing and painting a lot but I don't think I could give up reading for a week to make it better. Were you satisfied with the results over all?

5:07 AM  
Blogger kellie said...

Hello, Carolyn!

Very intriguing drawing. I can relate to those feelings. Even though I read some blogs this week and a friend's manusrcipt, I felt out of sorts without my constant companion of audio books. There was some benefit in it, but I'm not yet sure if it was worth it. I'd be interested to hear what you learned in the creative non-fiction book!

It must be hard to deal with those power outages!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Kara said...

Thanks for the visit to my blog. I'm trying to catch up on reading and comments since blogger lost it's mind yesterday.
Your drawing evokes so much in me. I felt a little sliced and blocked by the reading deprivation. By the way I love all the photos of wildlife you post here. I wish I could be there to smell the rain - we are in such a drought I crave it.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Endment said...

Donna,
Thanks for your comment!
Everything in the world felt blocked.

t.beth,
I like the unexpected also, for instance your great photo.
Blogger had quite a day. Dumped all sorts of things --- for half the day we were unable to access any blogs.
Nice to be back in contact.

ontario wanderer
I enjoy playing with sketching, It is something that I find nearly as relaxing as reading :)

I have no plans to ever give up reading again! Overall it was interesting to learn what it is like but reading is a treasured part of my life --- even more after this experience

tess
thanks for the empathy. I can highly recommend "Tell it Slant" as a tool to provide inspiration to get started writing. I have written pages and pages and am still having ideas that keep my pencil going.

Power outages are easier than not reading!

4:13 PM  
Blogger Endment said...

kara

Hope you find this week AW easier and more inspirational!

For the moment I would be very willing to share some rain with you!

It has been so warm that the chipmunks are back out at the feeders. I am hoping the bears will stay in hibernation.

Thanks to each of you for visiting and for your comments

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The reading deprivation at this particular point in my life would be the deal breaker. I commend you--and I like your drawing, too.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Endment said...

Fran,
You have no idea how close it came!
I modified it but non-the-less it was very difficult!

Glad you like the drawing

8:03 AM  
Blogger harmonyinline said...

Love your drawing!

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home