Sunday, October 22, 2006

Late October

I found ten kinds of wild flowers growing
On a steely day that looked like snowing:
Queen Anne’s lace, and blue heal-all,
A buttercup, straggling, grown too tall,
A rusty aster, a chicory flower ---
Ten I found in half an hour.
The air was blurred with dry leaves flying,
Gold and scarlet, gaily dying.
A squirrel ran off with a nut in his mouth,
And always, always, flying south,
Twittering, the birds went by
Flickering sharp against the sky,
Some in great bows, some in wedges,
Some in bands with wavering edges,
Flocks and flocks were flying over
With the north wind for their drover.
“Flowers,” I said, “you’d better go,
Surely it’s coming on for snow,” ---
They did not heed me, nor heed the birds,
Twittering thin, far-fallen words ---
The others thought of tomorrow, but they
Only remembered yesterday.
---- Sara Teasdale
After reading the Sara Teasdale poem "Late October" I grabbed my camera, wandered down the stairs and began exploring - trying to see those "flowers of Late October."
At the back edge of the property, nearly hidden in the russet bracken ferns and tall pines, I discovered a huge clump of monkshood in full bloom... It has ignored the frost, wind and rain and blooms as though it were expecting spring.
In the middle of our small pond a waterlily bud is hoping for one more sunny day so it can burst into bloom before winter arrives.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

a steely day in southern maine

since i've mostly researched romantic poets, researching the poets of your selections gives me great pleasure.

thanks

5:29 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

a beautiful new york day

it's so good to have you back

5:52 PM  
Blogger Susan Gets Native said...

An Ohio day full of gray

We can learn a lot from fall flowers. They make every day count, and to the Devil with the cold!

6:42 PM  
Blogger silverlight said...

We haven't any flowers around here. All I have is a potted gerbera, it has given me seven orange daises. At least they are season apropriate. Glad you are back .

7:24 PM  
Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

Beautiful pictures of fall flowers.

My tropical lily is still blooming - hate to think of an end to the lovely purple flowers.

Glad you're posting again; I miised the pics and poems.

8:17 PM  
Blogger MB said...

Welcome back, Endment. I'm glad to see your beautiful posts again.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Otter said...

North Carolina is sunny and in the 50's. Our first freeze is predicted later this week.

Glad to see you back in Blogland.

Your pictures are as always elegant and beautiful capturing a piece of your soul with every click.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

Lovely poem. It's always a joy to find flowers that just don't want to quit when the cold weather sets in.

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Teasdale poem.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now THAT is a view!! can I come over someday?? I would love to see what you see.. so much beauty.
I've missed your blog and your words so much, thanks for sharing your space in the world my friend.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home