Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Beautiful Things

In the bleak midwinter
Frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron,
Water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow,
Snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter,
Long ago.
- Christina Rossetti

Gray winter days are often depressing for me. It is not that I mind the snow. In fact I enjoy watching the snow fall and even delight in the pristine blanket covering the woods and clearing. But there are days when the sun doesn't get a chance to break through the dark clouds. When my loft retreat is dark and gloomy even the electric lights can't seem to chase away the gloom. During these dark days it is tempting to allow dark and gloomy thoughts to fill my mind. On one gloomy gray dark day I found inspiration from a warm steaming cup of tea and a post by Laura at Somewhere In New Jersey
Her list of beautiful things got me to thinking about beautiful things that I see.
A list of some of the beautiful things I saw today:
- My daughter leaning back in her recliner, her face at rest as she contemplates the next steps of her painting
- Ice crystals patterning the windows as the diffused sunlight catches them and sets them to sparkling against a background of dark evergreens or dark gray clouds.
- The chickadee at my window. Always the chickadee brings a smile to my heart as well as to my lips. He is not our most colorful avian visitor but I am attracted to his elegant black and white attire. His sprightly nature and his inquisitive eye watching me warms me as does a visit from a friend. I love sketching the little fellow. Much as I enjoy the Chickadee, it is difficult for me to choose a favorite from the variety of birds that visit each day. Actually it is impossible to choose; each has their own special beauty. The closer we get, the closer I look, the more beauty I see, the more I treasure the daily gift of their presence here outside my window.
- The cream and red stripped amaryllis just opening its first blossom of the year. It has a beauty of its own. There is beauty in its unique blossoms but there is also beauty in that it has returned in my life to bloom for this second year and beauty in its reminder that it came as a gift of love and friendship.
- The sound of water moving through this small canyon, bouncing and splashing over the rocks, foaming its way into pools, lapping against moss and fern covered banks, even the sounds it makes when moving slowing under winter ice and snow. The peaceful soothing sounds, sometimes whispering, other times roaring past, but always bringing new melodies to nurture my soul.

"May the sun bring you new energies by day, may the moon softly restore you by night,
may the rain wash away any worries you may have. May gentle breezes refresh your soul
and all the days of your life, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty."
- Unknown


Sorry blogger isn't letting me post a photo today

11 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

what a great description -- not just the actual things you see that are beautiful -- but the way you describe them is beauty-in-itself. this is how i try to go through my days -- seeing beauty, but it's not always a conscsious thing for me... as i'm sure it's also that way for you, too, yet making a conscious effort to record the beauty - that is the wonderful part of your post. some days i succeed at my quest and some days the gray just takes over.

12:14 AM  
Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

There is so much to see if we just look. Thanks for showing me more through your eyes.

12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As usual, I read this yesterday, and am coming back this morning. What is it about your posts that make me want to come back and read again? I am to ignorant about birds and hope blogger will let you post a photo or drawing of a chickadee, one of these days, --of course, I could google it, but I think I'd like to see YOUR version.
I am shamelessly stealing the list of beautiful things idea to use on my French blog.

3:14 AM  
Blogger z-silverlight said...

Can you delete that first comment of mine. It's all mis-typed. I meant lst year winter was hard on me too. I developed SADS.
But, not so much this year. So, hang in there.
Wear something with flowers.

4:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! I live in CA foothills and we had our first snow. My dog was so excited it made me smile ;) Thanks for tips to illuminate a dreary day.

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops! That was just me, Tammy :)

5:45 PM  
Blogger MB said...

Thank you for this post, Endment — like a salve.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Pam in Tucson said...

We had a grey day yesterday. I usually welcome them - a relief from our more common cloudless sunny skies - but for some reason it seemed sad. Reading your beautiful post has restored warmth and contentment. I hope that Blogger behaves and lets you post your lovely photos and exquisite drawings.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Viv said...

I never knew what winter blues were until we had weeks of constant rain in Mississippi. Luckily, I recognized the problem and appreciated the sun all the more when it appeared.

Next time you feel the need for bright days, let me send you a packet of sunshine, if your creative juices fail to kick in.

One of your best writings so far...

10:38 AM  
Blogger kerrdelune said...

Endment, although blogger may not be cooperating with you today, a photo wasn't really needed here - this post is absolutely magnificent. It's a whole litany of glories and wonders, and one which is much needed and appreciated. Thank you!

12:04 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

From the dreary and cloudy capitol of the world, I find your words as sunlit as the blue-sky days I long for. We learn to look around more deeply when the steel-gray skies hide even the hint of a shadow.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home