Friday, November 14, 2008

O'Keeffe - Remembering her day of birth




Georgia O'Keefe, born November 15, 1887 Sun Prairie Wisconsin, sculptor/painter,

I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for.

“I said to myself, I have things in my head that are not like what anyone has taught me - shapes and ideas so near to me - so natural to my way of being and thinking that it hasn't occurred to me to put them down.” ~ Georgia O'Keefe


“I decided that if I could paint that flower in a huge scale, you could not ignore its beauty.”

“Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.”

When we were living in the southwest there were many days when I could see nothing other than the sameness of the hill, the brown sand or the flat, flat field stretching out to a distant water tank or feed lot. O’Keeffe opened my eyes to a new view of the world. City blinders fell off and I began to see the colors — the wonderful breathtaking color of the landscape that surrounded me.

Words in italics are all quotes of Georgia O'Keeffe
for more about Georgia O'Keeffe go to the following links

http://www.okeeffemuseum.org/home.aspx

http://www.ellensplace.net/okeeffe1.html

http://www.morning-earth.org/ARTISTNATURALISTS/AN_O%27Keeffe.html

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/episodes/georgia-okeeffe/about-the-painter/55/

11 Comments:

Blogger NatureWoman said...

I love Georgia O'Keeffe, thanks for telling me today is her birthday. Isn't she beautiful?

4:31 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

She has said everything I would say. Lovely post for a lovely woman. Thank you for this post.

Happy Birthday, Georgia!

(Pepek)

9:26 PM  
Blogger Purple Flowers said...

Georgia O'Keefe has been one of my favorite female artists. Looking at her work moves me inside in a way I can't describe. She emanates earthiness that is pure beauty.

2:37 AM  
Blogger Ontario Wanderer said...

Yes, one of my favourite artists too. I hope to make it down to see her museum someday.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Sky said...

a nice celebratory post! such beautiful work she did. i would love to visit her museum in sant fe! one day....

i remember the place setting honoring georgia o'keefe in judy chicago's "the dinner party" exhibit which i saw when it toured atlanta in the early '80s.

2:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a beautiful tribute to a truly beautiful and gifted soul- she saw and painted with her heart

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Portland Museum had a show of her paintings this past summer. My husband and enjoyed it very much.
I hope someday to see the area that inspired much of her work. We are planning to retire in New Mexico.

5:27 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

I have never seen a photo of Georgia O'Keeffe as a younger woman.
Several years ago, we visited Santa Fe and spent a good afternoon in the museum devoted to her paintings. Driving around the countryside there it was easy to see her inspiration.

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a dream of mine to go to Santa Fe and view O'Keeffe's work. I want to read her book too ... it's on my list!
Thanks for this.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Nov. 14th was my sons 24th B~day!
A beautiful post and tribute.
And how wonderful that she opened your eyes to the beauty and colors around you...sometimes I feel the same when I look out...same view it seems day after day, but if we truely look with new eyes we can find beauty each day in our surroundings!(Thanks for that reminder!)
Cat

6:10 PM  
Blogger Quiet Paths said...

I have loved O'Keefe's work for a long while. Thank you for this tribute; it reminded me of how much color and life she brought to the world. I guess she was very choosy about who she invited into her house. An older friend of ours had to sit in the car while his companion visited with O'Keefe one afternoon at her home. He was so disappointed not to have been invited in to be introduced. But that was not her way...

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home