Friday, January 20, 2006

Weather

I opened the windows to let the fresh air flow through the house taking away the closed-in winter smell --- Here I am thinking of spring when the hard days of winter have not even begun…

Sunshine makes me want to be outside checking for buds and growing things. I wonder if the ground is still too frozen to plant some bulbs?

I wonder why we spend so much time talking about the weather? I used to think it was because it was a safe topic of conversation --- perhaps so, but I wonder if it may also be because our lives are so greatly modified by the weather --- what we wear, whether we drive, walk, or take public transportation --- whether we can get out at all: snow or ice storms trap us at home; floods and hurricanes make us evacuate; tornados and earthquakes catch us unaware. We likely don’t spend a lot of time each day contemplating these influences on our lives, unless we are weather persons or working in emergency management, but rain, snow, sleet, sun, wind, cold or heat, they make a very real impact on our daily lives.

3 Comments:

Blogger HoBess said...

What a beautiful post. I often find myself craving sunshine this year and your photo brought that to me today. I wonder if we don't talk so much about the weather because it remains something we can't truly predict or tame. I have to admit, I'm in awe of it's many faces! So thanks for the sunshine ... and something to think about!

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I spend a lot of time talking about the weather because I like being connected to the natural world, to be part of the rhythms and cadences of the environment. We've fashioned such an insulated life for ourselves -- mainly, and I've always longed to be outside, out in the weather, no matter what it may be. (Although when there's a real storm, I do enjoy being warm & snug inside, listening to it rage around the eaves.)

5:12 PM  
Blogger Lené Gary said...

Love peonies--you make me want to smell them. and I have to say, people in Vermont talk more about the weather than many other places that I've lived. I believe, at least here, it is because our lives are so dictated by its expressions.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home