Saturday, March 04, 2006

I am gray

I am gray
     the softest gray
gray of the morning dove’s wing
     gray as the misty morning fog
          kissed by the rising sun
I am gray
     of a frozen winter lake
     of a shadowed distant hill

I am the gray of
     of the stones of the hearth
          where bread cools at the end of day
     the gray of a woman’s  fine silk dress
catching the evening’s glow
I am
     the gray of goose down
          plucked to line her nest
     gray as the fluffy tail of a squirrel
racing against the wind
I am gray
     as milkweed fluff
          bursting from the pod
I am the gray
     of the sail of the yacht
          far out across the bay
     the gray of the weathered barn
          shelter at end of day
I am the gray
     of the soft woolen scarf
          that shuts out winter’s wind
the gray of a hand thrown cup
          made from the finest clay
Gray
     like the blowing bark of the birch
          strewn across the snow
     or strings of a violin’s bow
Gray
     as the comforter
          draped over the foot of the bed
Gray?
     Yes gray
     Its gray I am!
      Gray as the hairs
of the wise woman’s head.

10 Comments:

Blogger Endment said...

Have to give Tess of Chameleon Chronicles credit for inspiring this post.

I didn't think I could find a way to identify with a specific color

Thanks Tess

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gray now seems like a much richer color to me. Great poem. I'm glad Tess inspired you. How are you feeling?

2:21 AM  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

I love this, so beautiful, right from the first line - the morning dove's wing. I am visited by a pair of collared doves, and I love their elegance. Now I will think of you when they arrive! Thank you.

2:35 PM  
Blogger HoBess said...

I love the way you took a color that writers so often associate with something glum or mundane and made it beautiful and welcome and WISE! That was terrific.

I've been away from my keyboard a few days and so just found your flu bug. He's outstanding! Perhaps you need to hook up with an ad agency for that guy, I totally can see him being squashed out by Theraflu or something in a commercial. So glad you're feeling better.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh this was wonderful. I haven't yet done the "write as you are a color" excercise from AW but now I am insipred!!

~bluepoppy

1:51 PM  
Blogger Pam in Tucson said...

I keep coming back to this poem over and over again. I've just copied it to keep on my study wall (hope you don't mind). Such beautiful expression ... the softness and tranquility of gray ...

6:39 PM  
Blogger Endment said...

Thanks to each of you for your visit and your comments.

Please excuse me for not writing individual responses - my energy is still very limited

Pam - I am honored

8:09 PM  
Blogger Kara said...

I read this and said of course you are grey and oh so lovely. Your words are beautiful I could just read this over and over again.

11:49 AM  
Blogger MB said...

A lovely celebration.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How uplifting to find beautiful associations for the word/color grey. That word has done its time taking a bad rap! Now I shall think of it as beautiful :-) Very timely since I was noticing all the grey on my head this week.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home