Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The Day of the Blue Jays

This has to be the day of the Blue Jay --- I awoke early to a cloudy dreary day. I wandered over to the skylight hoping that I would find a warbler in the tree.
Turning to start the computer for the day, I heard a sound at the window and discovered a Blue Jay, head cocked, looking down at me. Since my skills in “BlueJay” are deficient, I of course, had to guess what he was saying – but it seemed he wanted me to come outside. I padded bare foot down the stairs and quietly out to the deck. To my delight the yard was awash with birds. Two hen turkeys wandering the lawn, goldfinches decorating all the trees, robins working in the grasses down the hillside, chickadees, titmice and nuthatches working their way through the trees, whitethroats calling from the thicket.
Morning doves flew to the phone line where they cooed to one another… The Jay hopped to the porch railing, giving a musical bugling call which was immediately answered from somewhere to the west of the house. In moments the clearing, the trees, the grasses were filled with blue jays. Where they came from – I have no idea they seemed to simply materialize out of the air.
The Blue Jay

No brigadier throughout the year
So civic as the jay.
A neighbor and a warrior too,
With shrill felicity

Pursuing winds that censure us
A February day,
The brother of the universe
Was never blown away.

The snow and he are intimate;
I 've often seen them play
When heaven looked upon us all
With such severity,

I felt apology were due
To an insulted sky,
Whose pompous frown was nutriment
To their temerity.

The pillow of this daring head
Is pungent evergreens;
His larder -- terse and militant --
Unknown, refreshing things;

His character a tonic,
His future a dispute;
Unfair an immortality
That leaves this neighbor out.
--- Emily Dickinson

11 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Nice Blue Jay pics!
We don't have that species here but we do have the striking Steller's Jay, the Scrub Jay, and the gregarious Pinyon Jays.

10:22 AM  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

That blue is magnificent. As always, beautiful pics. Thank you.

11:31 AM  
Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

I'd bet that Jay was looking for a peanut!

In spring out at Sandy Hook there are days when blue jays are migrating and the skies are just full of them passing by the hawkwatch in small groups. They get to the end of Sandy Hook, see the couple miles of water in front of them with NYC on the other side, and turn around to go north on the bayshore.

Blue jays are one of my favorite birds, brash as they are!

Beautiful pics!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Cyn Bagley said...

oh yea.. the theiving Blue Jays..
:-)

When we went camping, they loved to steal the potato chip bags because they were shiny and crackly. We see the Scrub Jays here, but no Blue Jays.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Endment said...

jim
I grew up with the Steller's Jay and Scrub Jay even the Pinyon Jay -We had Gray Jays when I lived in Colorado and Green Jays in Texas. I find them interesting and fun neighbors even if they can occasionally be a plague :=)

greenishlady
Yes, I love the bright blue color.

laurahinnj
Actually he was looking for a kernel of corn but...
It is clear that the jays are migrating, there are more than thirty birds here just now.
I really enjoy their antics.

cynthia e. bagley
they are characters...
perhaps that is part of the reason I enjoy them

4:49 PM  
Blogger Pam in Tucson said...

What a joyous awakening for you. You always find (or write) the perfect poem to illustrate your wonderful photos. It's been so long since I've seen a Blue Jay, beautiful in colouring and form and yet so pesky, I remember. Still, I welcomed them as you do.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Kim Tyler said...

I always love to see bluejays, even though many people consider them kind of pesky. Thanks for so many wonderful pics of them!

6:36 PM  
Blogger Joy Eliz said...

today was the day of Blue Jays! I had one squaking at me too:)

9:20 PM  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Two of my favourite Americans on one post - blue jays and Emily Dickinson! What a treat! (Oh I should say three of my fav Americans - you too of course, Endment!)

4:04 AM  
Blogger kerrdelune said...

Beautiful Blue jays and wonderful poetry - a perfect way to start the day to visit you here and see those bright birds. The colours of the "jays" in your photos are an almost incandescent shade of blue. Lovely. . .

5:09 PM  
Blogger Endment said...

pam in tucson and sigrid jardin
the blue jays here are actually fun and entertaining... there is enough space that they aren't a problem

joy eliz
these squwak a bit but they have a number of other calls, I enjoy the bugle and their mating calls.

chiefbiscuit
thank you --- as you can tell I enjoy the jays and Emily Dickinson

kerrdelune
glad you came. The light is perfect and the jays have on their spring garb.

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home