Saturday, January 21, 2006

Artist Way Second Week

The morning pages have been refreshingly helpful. I am finding inspiration and freedom to explore many things in my life from a more creative perspective. Yet, as days go by I begin to experience some growing frustrations and I wonder if it is just me or if others have a similar experience?

Reading the written material in week two brings back to mind one of the frustrations that surfaces every time I read this chapter --- Certainly there are situations where “crazy makers” in our lives could be part of some codependent self-defeating relationship but relationship problems are not always rooted in co-dependency. More often, for most of us, “crazy makers” are just a part of life. At least part of the time the root is unclear or unstated expectations (mine and others). Sometimes problems develop because we have let ourselves become too busy or fragmented and unfocused. Sometimes I may even be the “crazy maker.” Life is about learning to cope with difficult people. “Crazy makers” may be one of the challenges in life but the biggest problem is my response.

I don’t dispute that there are people who seek to control by manipulating us. Some of the time we simply have to get out of the relationship. Other times, it seems to me there may be very important relationship issues that need to be addressed. Before we can address them we need to have the tools to deal with these people who are in our lives. Having the tools and knowing how to use them will go a long way toward giving me/us confidence and can open a path to recovering a sense of identity.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a flaming codependent who now only has occasional relapses, but people are quick to "diagnose" codependency, I agree. Sometimes things just are. And sometimes the controlling, manipulative people are our bosses or family members and we have to learn about boundaries--and how to detach, but not be "gone." I'm not doing the Artists Way, but have done it. When one does a lot of inner work it can be like opening Pandora's box. Go gently, Carolyn.

1:16 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn in Wonderland said...

I think you are absolutely right and I want to thank you for sharing your comments with us. I wish you well on your continued journey!

In love and light,
Jocelyn

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, i totally hear what you're saying. for me, this time and last time i did the aw, the passage on crazy-makers didn't really apply to me. i mean sure, there were some crazy-makers in my life (can you entirely avoid them?) but you make choices about how you deal with them...

at the same time, i know that passage has been very helpful for others. so like with most things i read, i take it all with a grain of salt, taking what is useful, discarding what isn't.

thank you for sharing what you're thinking!!

7:47 PM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

i agree that our response to the crazymakers is what it is all about. so glad you are sharing your thoughts about this AW journey.

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a very thoughtful look at "crazy makers" -- I liked what you had to say. Sometimes it IS an indicator that the relationship needs to be worked on.
(Oh look! I've figured out how to make comments on your site! Hooray!)

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home