Monday, November 05, 2007

Thinking of Autumn

“Another glorious day, the air as delicious to the lungs as nectar to the tongue” — John MuirWhen I think of autumn - I think in terms of gold, bronze, wine, crimson, flame, yellow - fallen leaves of course, sunflowers, goldenrod, pumpkins and squashes. Of brilliant deciduous trees showcased against the deep shades of the pines, hemlocks and other evergreens.

Weather service people were warning that a frost was on the way and I want to preserve these memories through the winter days when I will have only the evergreens and the white snow outside my window. I took my camera out to capture the colors of autumn.

Upon viewing my photos I discover, among the gold and scarlet, deep purples and brilliant white; the bell like blossoms of the autumn clematis, the elegant peacock orchid, the tall stately monkshood. The Peacock Orchid brought splendor to mid-autumn reaching four to five feet tall with dozens of blossoms but the monks hood has provided the true splendor of the season. A clump nearly hidden behind the pines has grown to eight feet in height. A single stalk may have more than twenty blossoms and the clump itself has so many blooms we do not even try to count them.

Within just a few hours time, the frost has come - but I have memories.



15 Comments:

Blogger kerrdelune said...

Endment my friend, it happens every year and I am always sad to see it happen. The last colorful leaves of autumn and flowers in the garden hold out their brilliant color and a short time later, they have been felled by frost and are only a memory. The last magnificent purple beauty is a sweet pea?

5:42 PM  
Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

Such beautiful images, Endment - thank you!

8:28 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

I adore the smells and colors of fall, also, but feel the melancholy pull of darker days. Winter has its own beauty and smells and I appreciate them, but prefer longer days and more freedom out-of-doors.

Your photos are lovely.

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got some nice memory photos. It seems like frost came late for everyone this year.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

That is a beautiful John Muir quote!~And beautiful photo's!
That last pic of the beautiful bluish~purple flower..At first I thought maybe it was monkshood..?
Could you please tell us what that beautiful flower is...its' gorgeous!!
Great post!
Cat

9:13 PM  
Blogger Sky said...

your photography and words always fill me with such joy and a sense of peace! i enjoy my retreats here in the beauty of your space more than you know.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Beautiful just beautiful. Thanks for the treat of colour; an autumnal feast. You are a gifted photographer.

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The flowers are lovely, but my favourite photo is of the leaves!
I never get tired of autumn leaves.

4:48 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Oh so lovely.
Another fall color--vermillion.

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exquisite... especially the top photo of the leaves--definitely my favorite. The foxglove is brilliant. I can never seem to capture that deep purple very well.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

you have such a deep talent for capturing beauty through words and images.

it was a pleasure to walk through your world with you.

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for great content.I'm very nice and I like.[^_^]
Nice site you got here !
Be sure to check out my blog about Orchid Care Tips

1:20 AM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Beautiful posts! And how often can most people now say the air is to the lungs like nectar on the tongue?

4:42 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Yes, memories, and the sure knowledge that nature will renew herself. Lovely photos, Endment.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Wicked Gardener said...

Endment - What a calm, peaceful blog. I'm happy to have found it.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home