Friday, October 05, 2007

Our day began with fog wending its way through the woods then the sun came out and gilded the yellow leaves of the oaks and beech filling the darkness with golden light. As the sun rose higher into the skies the clouds drifted away and soon autumn seemed more like summer as humidity and temperature began to climb. The weather reporters say that our temperature is twenty degrees higher than normal for this time of year.

Bees are gathering their last harvests of pollen from the flowers. The occasional butterfly is still seen on the late blooms of the herbs or cone flowers. Spring chicks have become full grown turkeys and fill the clearing with their calls.

Soaking up late autumn sunshine
reveling in crisp air
crimson, persimmon and yellow leaves
the enchantment of
sunlit woods

A small sound
draws my attention to
a blue clematis blossom
swaying in the breeze

As I watch
the bell like flower
bumps and seems ready
to jump from the vine

Wings buzzing
a bee backs slowly
out of the bell of the flower
golden pollen filling
sacks on his legs.

11 Comments:

Blogger z-silverlight said...

Oh, I say, are you back? Glad you could get your machine to co-operate at last.

2:59 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

My dear Endment, you are back! And with a beautiful photo and pefect poem. I have missed you.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

A bee and clematis. Delightful photo and poem.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

S'good seeing you up again! Wonderful poem and photo.

7:44 PM  
Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

What nice surprise to find you back and busy as that cute bee!

Happy Autumn!

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah you're back! you're back!

I've missed you and thought about you-- I trust all is well--

beautiful beautiful posts as always.

~bluepoppy

7:43 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I wanted to comment on your latest post, the photos are beautiful and I loved the quote, but there was no place to do it.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Such a dear picture and poem.

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is lovely, and so fitting. I still can find one or two bees in the garden when I go out. They must be our last garden visitors.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a photo... perfect timing and clear as a bell :-) You captured it!

10:24 AM  
Blogger LenĂ© Gary said...

Your poem is full great imagery--offering me a world I haven't seen enough of this year. Thank you.

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home