Monday, March 16, 2009

Kody

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." - Ben Williams

Fourteen months ago - our lives were quiet and somewhat sedate. We had settled into a daily routine. I spent many days alone while my better half was working in the city. Wild birds were my favorite entertainment and we spent hours watching and photographing them. Now you must understand that bird watching is primarily entertainment - the photography is frequently an exercise in futility as the contrary creatures are often far beyond the reach of the lens of my camera or they choose to pose behind the biggest twigs or sticks to be found in the woods.

All of that changed the day Kody entered our lives. No more lingering under the down comforter; now Kody wants to join me. No longer do I bundle up and sit alone on the deck watching the turkeys scratch under the bird feeders or deer come browse on our favorite and most expensive viburnum. When Kody comes out on the deck the barking begins; these are invaders in his kingdom! He must proclaim for all to hear that he is in charge and they may only come into the yard with his permission which is only given from inside the house where he is no longer aware that they are nibbling away at seed and treasured plants.

This tiny three pound Pomeranian pup has grown to a seventeen pound armful much more like the breed’s ancestor the Spitz than the tiny Pomeranian I had expected. NO! I don’t want to send him back — well, at least not most of the time— not now that he is housebroken and has become part of the family.

This little Kody dog loves to chew. He mostly eats rawhide. Thanks to the inspiration of Hannah Hinchman (in her book “Little Things in a Big Country”), I learned to rub the rawhide with “Tillamook extra-sharp cheddar.” Usually he is delighted with his rawhide and settles down by my feet to munch contentedly ... of course here in the east it is very difficult to get Tillamook cheese so sometimes we must settle for a Vermont substitute :) Then there are the times when he reverts to his full stage of puppyhood and chews up his bed, pulling out great wads of stuffing before I even notice that he has changed from gnawing rawhide to ripping up fabric. My needle has been kept busy sewing up stuffed puppy toys, my goose down lap-robe, two of his beds - both were marketed as being good for dogs who have a strong chewing instinct. Now I am wondering if the marketers meant that the beds were easy to chew.

Everything chewable - which we have come to realize means everything - is now located at least three feet above the floor and more than a dog’s reach beyond all chairs and other furniture. All trash cans are now covered or enclosed; we watch with admiration as he figures out how to open them. Kody is strictly a gourmet eater; his favorite foods are Kleenex - either new or used, chicken, salmon, and dirty socks. When offered something like kibble he gives it a ceremonial sniff and looks at us with a look that seems to say “what do you expect me to do with that?” If pressed further he will simply turn his head to the side staring at nothing as if to say “kibble? We will not even discuss the subject.” Our trainer keeps reminding us that is important to keep track of who is training whom.
“I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better.“ ~ George Bird Evans

15 Comments:

Blogger kerrdelune said...

Oh Endment, Kody is lovely, and it sounds as though he and Spencer share a number of interests!

7:42 PM  
Blogger Sky said...

laughing out loud with such fun memories of my own i recall similar days with my fur babes.

he is a cutie - no wonder he rules the roost! i hope you will do more posts like this so we can all enjoy your new plaything. sounds like he is keeping you quite busy.

you can kiss your wildlife observation days goodbye! mr. big barker will not let the wildlife graze for long. pretty soon he will be the only thing in the animal kingdom you can get a photo of! LMAO.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Endment said...

kerrdelune - I assume you mean chewing:)

sky - the squirrels have already begun to ignore him unless he is outside :)

7:50 PM  
Blogger daringtowrite said...

What a sweet-looking little critter. I'd still be lingering under the down comforter if Kody wanted to join me, though I suppose we might end up with a flying feater situation if I dozed off.

7:59 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

I have thought about getting dog, but am afraid that s/he would bark away all of my favorite moments with wildlife. I have seen some very well-behaved dogs on the trails, and it does fill me with hope that it's possible. Kody is quite the cutie.

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the update on Kody! I'd been wondering how you were getting along. They are such fun, but challenging as they go through that chewing phase. Glad you are enjoying him.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you have a large Pomeranian. My grandmother had one of those many years ago, and with the breeding of them into tiny little things in the years since I've despaired of finding a big one. Your Kody gives me hope.

Carolyn H.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Tabor said...

Thanks for stopping by one of my blogs. I like this post as it is a gentle reminder of the changes I will have to face when we get a dog sometime this year.

2:02 AM  
Blogger silverlight said...

Remember my little Pepper. She never chewed. But, then there was Saffron, she chewed. Had an awful time with her. But, the rawhides satisfied her. Sometimes they do it out of boredom, or wanting attention.
Get one of those toys you put treats in. maybe that might help.

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What company! He sure is cute. And, I see he is in his dog bed!

7:17 AM  
Blogger Lené Gary said...

Kody is adorable, Endment. I remember when he first came into your life. :) Oh, and I got a good laugh at the Vermont substitute comment. ;) Wishing you a great weekend.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Endment said...

daringtowrite
He loves to help with writing - he will cheerfully either pre or post chew your paper :)

robin andrea
Kody does bark but... he is doing better - we did get a trainer who helps us all with that problem --- Basenji don't bark

Sally
I am looking forward to getting through that chewing stage :)

Carlyn H
There are some lovely larger Poms available in our area... He is a lot more dog than I expected but he is also a lot more interesting and fun :)

Tabor
Looking forward to your posts when you get your dog :)

I do remember your little dogs and they are why I thought I would enjoy a dog for company...
Kody loves treat toys, but stuffed toys are best for chewing :)

Gardenpath
Fooled you :) He is on my lap robe that should be keeping my legs warm. :)

Lené Gary
Yes Lené he does love that "Vermont Cheese"

May you find beauty for your eyes and peace for your soul

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a handsome boy Kody is.. I had to laugh at your reference to kleenex- our Phoebe LOVES kleenex too and I often joke to visitors that our trashcans are mere decorations because we surely don't use them.
wishing you and Kody many memorable moments together sweetie :)

12:58 PM  
Blogger Jake Ten Pas said...

Never in a million years would we have thought to coat a rawhide with Tillamook Extra Sharp Cheddar. How clever Ms. Hinchman is! Are we sure that isn't a pen name for a dog trying to get herself some cheese? ;-> Anyway, just wanted you to know that we really enjoyed your entry about this subject, and we made it our Post of the Day at www.tillamookfanclub.com.
Give Kody a pet for us,
Jake Ten Pas
Tillamook Cheese Fan Club

2:02 PM  
Blogger KC said...

My two dogs have enriched my life more than I could have ever imagined. What we give them is given back times 10.

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home