Thursday, April 09, 2009

Today is the Day

This is it!!!
This is the day that Spring arrived in our corner of the world.

How can I tell it was today, not yesterday or the day before?

How do I know it isn’t arriving tomorrow?

There are certain signs of spring that are unmistakable.From my loft window I can see the deep winey orange-red of the first blossoms on the maple trees. A brilliant contrast against the deep blue of the sky and the dark colors of the evergreen trees.

Flats of seeds are sprouting under the grow lights in the basement. Lettuce, basil, parsley, sage, thyme, marjoram, tomatoes, peppers, delphinium, foxgloves, marigolds, coreopsis. Chipmunks have come out of their warm dry nests and are filling their cheek pouches to the bursting point, racing back and forth up and down the hill - considering the way they rush one would think they were having to prepare dinner for unexpected horde of guests.

When I saw that the maple buds had opened, I knew it was time to wander to the back side of the hill and search the club mosses for the buds or blooms of the Trailing arbutus. At first glance all I could see were shiny dark green leaves. But this search demands close inspection - nearly impossible as one ages to get down on hands and knees to search - luckily that wasn’t necessary today. A bright ray of sunlight picked out the blush of pink under the dark leaves. Ah, it must be spring.
Robins are scratching through the tiny new shoots of grass, searching for the worms that are waking and stretching in the first warm days.
Crocus decorate the walkway with a purple edging along the stairs into the lower woods.
One of the things I like best about crocus is that most of the critters leave them alone so they are beginning to naturalize in the garden.
Sixty degrees, bright blue sky and puffy clouds sailing past on gentle breezes add to the sense that spring has arrived. But the ultimate sign of spring is that Phoebes are calling from a dead branch of a large White Pine and perching on the power line just outside my kitchen window.

16 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

I do enjoy your photos. Just curious, what kind of camera do you use. I want a DSL and do not knnow what kind to get.

8:49 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

You captured that beautiful essence of spring. It does show in so many ways, and all of them incredibly delightful.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

Early this morning just as the sun was coming up I walked into the front yard and saw two cherry blossoms on the cherry tree and then heard the ardents songs of a mockingbird. Spring has reached our area as well! Thanks for commenting on my blog.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Isn't it wonderful!!! Great photos, too! Happy Spring....

10:39 AM  
Blogger Crayons said...

Thank you for this post. This heightened awareness is what I feel today. Your images highlight the magic that I see and hear. Also, thank you for identifying the phoebe. I never knew what that bird was.

Thank you also for that quote two posts back about age.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Sky said...

absolutely enchanting!

3:14 PM  
Blogger S-V-H said...

You have a wonderful blog! Thank you so much for your kind comment on my last sunset post. Very much appreciated!
Susanne

Sue's Daily Photography

7:37 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I feel your excitement! I'll bet this particular day made you delightfully dizzy!

Your photos are beauties. I especially like the Phoebe.

Mary

10:19 PM  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

What an absolute delight to see the signs of Spring that you have posted and shared! Thank you. The maple blossom is exquisite - and I love the sweet phoebe bird (never heard of them before; it's always gratifying to learn something new!)

1:23 AM  
Blogger daringtowrite said...

I especially love that Phoebe shot!

3:55 AM  
Blogger Margaret Benbow said...

Exquisite photographs, so full of life. I've rarely seen a busier or more satisfied-looking chipmunk! You show your birds and animals at home in their world in the way that humans would like to be, but sometimes can't.

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are way ahead of us. The mayflowers have buds here, but no flowers, and the maples have not even begun to leaf out. Really nice photos.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Quiet Paths said...

This is a wonderful post; I laughed about the chipmunks having to make a big dinner on the run. We have them out too but your trees are much further along than ours. Wonderful shots here; truly enjoyed them.

1:03 PM  
Blogger myonlyphoto said...

Yes you definitely convinced us about the spring....these are in fact beautiful photos. Spring arrived here to, 2nd day very warm, and my goosebarries bush is getting greener by the day. Anna :)

9:24 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

Lovely spring photos but I especially like the chipmunk - he looks really cute.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Beautiful captures!! I love the first shot..beautiful, & that plump adorable looking chipmunk~great capture of him!
It's so good to see you posting again!
Cat

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home