Sunday, November 05, 2006

Birder Survey

Have some photos but Blogger won't let me post them today - Sorry

What state (or country) do you live in? NY, USA
How long have you been birding? 45+ years but I have only been keeping a life list since the early 1990’s
Are you a "lister"? I didn’t think so but discovered that we regularly make lists on birding trips
ABA Life List: 430
Overall Life List: ?
3 Favorite Birding Spots: Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge, NY; Bentsen Rio Grande State Park, Texas; Desoto or LaSalle Wildlife Refuge, Iowa/Nebraska
Favorite birding spot outside your home country: Point Pelee, Ontario, Canada
Farthest you've traveled to chase a rare bird: There are so many left to see that I really haven’t gone bird chasing.
Nemesis bird: Probably a Northern Saw-whet Owl – we hear them but I have never seen one.
"Best" bird sighting: Blue Bunting at trailer loop camp #9 Bentsen Rio Grande State Park, Texas
Most wanted trip: Back to Waterton Lakes or a pelagic trip
Most wanted bird: For the moment- an Atlantic Puffin
What model and brand of bins do you use?: Whichever ones are handy but most frequently Bausch & Lomb because they are light weight
What model and brand of scope do you use?: Haven’t chosen one yet.
What was the last lifer you added to your list?: Black Guillemot
Where did you see your last lifer?: Acadia Park, Maine
What's the last bird you saw today?: Yellow-Rumped Warbler
Best bird song you've heard ever: Wood Thrush or California Thrasher
Favorite birding moment: First trip to South Texas - Sitting at a picnic table in Bentsen Rio Grande State Park and adding twenty birds to my life list in only a couple of hours.
Least favorite thing about birding: Bugs and those birders who blow smoke at me --- oh yes – poison ivy.
Favorite thing about birding: Seeing a new bird
Favorite field guide for the US: This is difficult – there are things I like about several but would love to combine them into one book ( I guess Petersons and National Geographic)
Favorite non-field guide bird book: Possibly a guide to birding sites but my bookshelves are so full I can’t pick.
Who is your birder icon: Can’t think of one unless it is John Muir
Do you have a bird feeder(s)? Yes
Favorite feeder bird? I really don’t think I have a favorite but the chickadees and nuthatches do entertain me greatly.


I invite you to also participate in this survey ---Please copy and paste your responses in the comments or post this on your blog.
Got this from Laura over at Somewhere in New Jersey

6 Comments:

Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

Glad you did this! Sounds like you've traveled to some wonderful places and seen some great birds.

Do saw-whets *toot* like the recordings they play in the Cape May Meadows when they're banding?

9:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Endment,
This is a prodigious blog entry! I didn't realize the depth of your birding experience. It seems to be the strand on which you hang most of your beautiful beads.

Forty-five years is a long time. Oy, I've just been alive for that long.

And 400+ birds on your life list is such an achievement.

Birders are special people. I once went out to Montauk Point with some Very Serious birders to watch migrating birds. We happened to see a LeConte sparrow, and one of the men almost passed out from excitment.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Endment said...

laurahinnj
the saw-whets here sound like a mechanics nightmare :)

potato print
my birding experience isn't very deep - I simply like being outside and looking at birds. I thought 400 birds was pretty good until my sister-in-law and her husband saw number 1000 on a trip with us :)

Yup - I can get pretty excited when we confirm a new addition to the life list :)

1:45 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Although I am not an avid birder, I do love to watch them. We feed from six to eight humming birds at our camp all summer and I have a good variety of birds at home. I had a pair of cardinals here this summer who seemed to be as interested in me as I was in them. It was delightful! We feed them during the winter and the cardinals usually stick around. And I love those little chickadees.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Pam in Tucson said...

I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know this aspect of your life.

1:33 PM  
Blogger John B. said...

Atlantic Puffin is pretty high on my list of desired birds, too. Sometime I will have to make the trip to Maine or Newfoundland to see them.

12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home